Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Shoveling Snow

Last night it snowed, so that groundhog in Pennsylvania seems correct at least for the moment here in Minnesota! So adding to my morning routine included shoveling the sidewalk so the kids could walk to school. I really did not have time for it given that I still had to make breakfast, pack lunches, and get everyone out the door on time, but shoveling did still have to be done.

About half way down the sidewalk, I realized that while my body was outside shoveling, my mind was inside thinking of everything I still had to do. I also found that my body was racing as fast as I could go to get this over with as fast as possible.

First thing - I realized this! Progress! (YAY!)

Next thing I did was SLOOOOOW WAAAAY down. I actually stopped for a moment and looked around. No one was outside. It was silent! The only sign of life was the set of bunny tracks across the back yard! I looked across the yard at the evergreen trees with snow on them that looked like a Hallmark card! The air was crisp and cold on my nose and cheeks.

I took a breath and realized that THIS WAS IT! This is what I wanted to write about on this blog - PRESENCE, STILLNESS - the stillness was palatable. I wish I had better words to convey what it felt like for that moment.... maybe PEACE comes close.


About that time a school bus came by reminding me that my own kids still needed attention inside, so back to the shoveling.... but this time with ATTENTION and PRESENCE! The Universe was working in my favor today since the snow was light and fluffy and easy to shovel. Each step, I stayed in the moment, place the shovel, lift, toss the snow.... again, place the shovel, lift and toss. A sort of rhythm began.... over and over up the walk way. When I got to the end, I found myself wishing I wasn't finished already.

Tip to take from this post.... when one is present, there is no time or time seems to fly!

Join me in the present!
Penelope

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment on Carry Water Chop Wood!