Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Folding Laundry

I just finished folding laundry. I tried... I REALLY tried to be present with the laundry, but just how stimulating is it to be present with a pair of socks?

I even turned off the TV. Usually I sit and watch TV while I fold, just to take my mind off the folding... BUT that is exactly what this year long experiment is all about - being more present no matter where I am or what I am doing...... being with the folding and being with the socks and not, instead, being lulled off by Matt, Merideth and Al.

For those of you who know my Simply Spirituality blog I've written about my laundry folding friend. I wrote about her in the July 2009 post titled Taking Stock/Mindfulness. She folds laundry more peacefully than anyone I've ever seen! I actually enjoy watching her fold laundry because of that sense of peace she brings to it. (Yes, I know that sounds a little nutty!) I will just add that this is a very busy person with her own business, kids, pets, a house.... but when it comes to folding laundry she slows down somehow!

As a follow up, when I was at her house recently, we were in her daughter's room. My friend picked up a FITTED sheet and calmly folded it as we talked. I have trouble staying present folding the socks.... I doubt that I have ever folded a fitted sheet in any manner resembling peace or presence. In my book, that is definitely something to be over and done and finished with in as little time as possible. If there's a few wrinkles, no one will notice when you put it on the bed again! ; )

I am going to ask for tips below in the comment section. I would especially like to hear from my laundry folding friend, if she will give all of us, some of her tips and explain how she accomplishes this feat! That is if she can fit it in, in between all those other things she has going on!

Join me in the present!
Penelope

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment on Carry Water Chop Wood!